Demanding Ransom by Megan Squires

Have you ever read a book that just stays with you?  That is so well written that once you finish it, you immediately start reading it again?  That is how I feel about Megan Squire's books.  I started with Draw Me In and didn't stop until I had read all of her books.  But the one that stands out, the one that is my absolute favorite, is Demanding Ransom.


Sometimes life takes things away from you.

In nineteen-year-old Maggie Carson’s case, it’s taken more than its fair share.

Determined to move forward, Maggie embarks on her first year of college, hoping to finally put her past behind her, exactly where it belongs.

But that’s hard to do when the present is just as difficult. And even harder when someone like Ran, the gorgeous paramedic that keeps crossing Maggie’s path, challenges her to face things head on, rather than bury them like she always does.

Ran hasn’t had a perfect life either. But there’s something different about him, and something different about the way he makes Maggie feel. Maybe meeting Ran is life’s little gift for Maggie—a sort of consolation prize for enduring everything she's had to go through.

But things don’t come easy for Maggie. Why should love be the exception? And just when everything starts to settle, it’s all turned on its head once again.

If there is one thing Ran has taught Maggie, it’s that you can’t sit on the sidelines of your own existence. When life takes something that’s yours, you have every right to demand it back.

Only for Maggie, that is easier said than done.

When reading Demanding Ransom I experienced so many emotions.  Worry in the beginning as Maggie is rushing to the hospital.  Giddiness when Ran is pursuing Maggie.  Anger at Maggie's mom and her selfishness.  Happiness when Ran and Maggie are on the same page and in love.  Complete udder heartbreak when....well you'll have to read to find out.  When I say heartbreak, I mean crying, and not just a few tears, I bawled like a baby and my heart hurt.  That's when you know an author can write.  When their words draw you in so much that your heart beats for those characters.  My heart broke for these characters so much that I wanted to throw my kindle and immediately email Megan and demand to know why.  But, that would have been awkward because she doesn't know me, and well, I wouldn't dare throw my precious kindle.  I settled for hiding from my kids as I silently wept to myself as I finished the book.  Why hide? How do you explain to your kids why you're in the fetal position crying over a book.  Just joking, I wasn't hiding... Anyway, don't let my emotional breakdown discourage you from reading this book.  I finished it with a smile on my face and a happy heart.

I encourage you to buy this book and experience these great characters for yourself!  Ransom is this dreamy guy who knows who he wants and is persistent enough to give Maggie time to work out her feelings on love. Maggie has a huge heart, but is afraid of getting it broke, so she keeps it to herself.  Ransom and Maggie together are perfection.  This is a story of self discovery, having faith in love, and knowing perfection can sometimes happen twice.  There is a sequel that I am impatiently waiting for, so if you read this Mrs. Squires, I need more Ransom and Maggie ASAP please!

One last rant, I mean thought.  Thank you Megan Squires for writing a CLEAN book full of emotion and ROMANCE!!  So many books skip over the romance and head straight to the steamy.  There is sexiness in romance, and writers are forgetting this and so many books are carbon copies of one another.  Thank you Megan for not following the trend and creating inspirational stories lines that are different from the rest.  Ok, I think I have fan-girled enough, please don't file a restraining order...

To purchase Demanding Ransom: http://amzn.to/1ij92ET




Comments