The Battling Bookworms Review! Watchmen for Morning by Jennifer Pitkin

British Bookworm and I have decided to team together to bring you Battling Bookworms Reviews.  We each read Jennifer Pitkin's Watchmen for Morning and have written a review. See what we thought! Did we agree or not?
Check out the British Bookworm Here

The Blurb:


Delainey Smith moved to Italy to carve a path all her own. Marco Angelozzi found himself embroiled in a generations-old dispute between two proud families. Together, the love-struck couple find themselves in the crosshairs of the mafia as they take a stand against the transgressions of the Moretti Family. As cosa nostra's crimes reach an apex, Marco and Delainey find their own lives in danger... as well as the lives of their beloved family. Despite the fact they face seemingly insurmountable evil, they learn that at times, you must stand for what is right... even if that means you stand alone. Watchmen for Morning is a globe-trotting tale that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end.


British Bookworm's Review:
Every now and again, I am asked whether I would like to review a book which is not one which I would usually choose.  This book falls into that category.
I was unsure what to expect, and a little concerned that I wouldn’t enjoy it.  I needn’t have worried.  The book is, on the whole, well written. 
The main characters (Delainey and Marco) are nicely developed and engaging, though I found it a little difficult to believe that two characters could fall in love so deeply without barely a kiss passing between them.  That aside, their relationship was touching in its development and this was clearly conveyed in the writing.   
The narration style of the story is such that it is told from differing characters’ points of view.  I found that to be a little discordant at times, simply because of the number of characters involved.  However, this didn’t detract from my overall enjoyment of the book.
The subject matter of the main storyline (aside from Delainey and Marco’s connection) was gritty and somewhat hard hitting.  The pace of the writing certainly pulled me along for the ride and was engrossing.
And the ending?  Well, there’s more to come from this author, I’m sure.
Overall I thought that this was a satisfying read and I am definitely looking forward to the sequel.


On to the score.  On balance, I feel that this book deserves a B-/B (4* Amazon). It’s certainly a welcome addition to my library. 


My Review:
I will admit that I tend to gravitate towards light, upbeat, quick reads.  To me, this was not a quick read. Watchmen for Morning is a deep, angst filled, story that is full of love and family. There is romance, but the romance is light and most of the story revolves around the long standing feud between two Italian families and two people whose love is deep and genuine. The story starts off great and I was intrigued from the beginning.  Scenes are descriptive and well written.   My complaint would be that the story not only takes place in Italy, but also South Dakota and Sweden.  The chapters switched between places seamlessly, but at times my brain felt a little bogged down with remembering names, places, and important facts. The cast of characters is large, and at times, felt a little confusing.  Overall I felt the story was well written, flowed well, and had good character development.  I definitely recommend this story to anyone who loves a "mafia" type story with plenty of mystery and action. No cliffhanger, but definitely left it open for the next book in the series.   Steamy-ness level is very light (A few kisses, move along, nothing to see)



To purchase: http://amzn.to/1i6mrKD

Comments