Making Faces by Amy Harmon


Have you ever read something and as you read it you just wanted to take a highlighter and start highlighting words, phrases, paragraphs?  Just me?  If I had highlighted words/phrases that I loved in Making Faces I think I would have used a whole box of highlighters Amy Harmon's Making Faces is one of the most beautiful, well written books I have ever read.  I had heard great things about this book, but honestly kept putting it off because I knew it wasn't a "fluff" book.  I knew it would be emotional and I would probably shed a few tears.  I ordered the book and when it came in the mail, I thought I'd just read a few pages and see what it's about.  At 1:30 in the morning when I had finished, I just sat in awe.  Amy Harmon has a gift.  This book is so carefully and masterfully written.  By page 17 I was already shedding tears....a few more pages, and I found myself rereading some sentences several times so that I could absorb the meanings.  A few more chapters and I found myself smiling and thinking back to when I was young and the world was exciting, but a little scary.  A few more chapters and I was crying again and wanting to scream at the injustice of it all.  When I finished, I immediately wanted to find someone that had read it and discuss it.  It's that good. I will definitely be purchasing her other books to inhale the first chance I get.

I want to share with you the first phrase that I came to that I wanted to immediately highlight.  I think it is my favorite phrase ever. EVER!
Everybody is a main character to someone....  There are no minor characters.
There is more to this scene, but I don't want to spoil any part of this story for anyone.  When I read these few sentences I just stopped.  I reread that sentence again and again.  I loved it.  It is something I want to frame, and I will.  I want to remind myself and those around me that everyone is important to someone.

I'm not going to summarize any of the book.  I want you to experience this book with totally fresh eyes.The characters in Making Faces are believable.  They are smart, funny, and face adversity.  Just like the characters in the story that are trying to make sense of this thing called life, Amy's writing requires you to really think, ponder, reflect, etc.  Did I cry? Yes. Did I fall in love with the characters? Yes.  Did my heart break? Yes.  Would I read this all over again? Definitely.

If you take my advice and read Making Faces, come back and let me know what you thought!
To purchase on Amazon: Making Faces

I wanted to include a conversation I had with my 6yr.old as I was reading Making Faces.
E: What are you reading?
Me:  A book.
E:  Who wrote it? Did Penny write it?(She's a Penny Reid fan ;))
Me: No, her name is Amy Harmon.
E:  Is she your friend?
Me:  No, I've never met her.
E:  Is she on Facebook?
Me: Yes.
E:  Then you find her and you become friends!
Me: **smiles**

So, Amy if you read this, we're friends.  My 6 year old says so.  Just giving you the heads up! ;)

 

Comments

  1. This is an excellent review!!
    Reading your review took me back to reading this book for the first time. It's just... I love it.
    Nicely done, you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment