Finding Laila

Writing a good, relevant, age appropriate YA is hard to find these days.  Many of the stories, to me, are a little more of New Adult, but because they make the characters younger, they throw it into the YA category.  It is a hard genre to write, because as adults, we're not going through that stage of life. While we have our memories, putting the true emotion of a young adult into a character and making it believable is tough.  Finding Laila is a great story, with powerful messages, but delivered in a light hearted way that drew me in and had me feeling all those powerful, yet sometimes confusing, young adult emotions.  Check out the blurb:

Joey, Cole, Haden and Braxton have been a constant in my life since
I was five, and I have loved being one of the guys.

I’ve been cheerleader.

I’ve been study partner.

I’ve been listener.

When we’re young, we don’t realize the profound impact certain people will have on our lives. I had no idea twelve years ago I’d meet four boys who would turn out to be my best friends, my soul mates - my barmy.

Now school is almost done, our last summer together is drawing closer, and I’m trying to hold on to what we have while I still can. After this we’ll have to say goodbye to each other, as our choices will take our lives in different directions. But I don't know if our friendship can survive once secrets and surprises begin revealing themselves to us at every turn.

When it’s all said and done, will our friendships remain unbreakable? Or will our once strong bond prove to be weaker than we anticipated?

Letting go is harder than I thought, but some changes are necessary.


And finding Laila...finding myself…may be the greatest journey of all.


What a refreshing YA!  Finding Laila contains a unique storyline with such a great message.  I loved how Laila wasn't your typical popular high school girl, nor was she the nerdy outcast.  She was ok with herself and how others perceived her; she might not have liked it, but she accepted the fact that they didn't know the truth and that's ok.  The relationship between these five friends was unique, special, awesome...the kind of friendship we all strive to achieve.  I commend T.K for writing such great well developed characters and giving them a voice.  The dialogue is witty and I found myself not wanting the story to end.  This story is clean and suitable for any young adult.  I think T.K. Rapp has a true talent writing in the YA genre and hope she continues to write more stories!

To purchase Finding Laila: Amazon

Find T.K. Rapp:



Comments